Impacts and Benefits of VicInAqua
Sustainable environmental protection is at the core of VicInAqua solutions by permitting:
- Effective sanitation – Wastewater treatment (aquaculture, households, fish processing industry), solid waste management and utilisation.
- Fresh water availability – By avoiding release of fertilisers, antibiotics and diseases of aquaculture in the ecosystem; by reusing treated water for aquaculture and agriculture purposes.
- Use of renewable energy – Thereby reaching a very low CO2 footprint and enabling autonomy to cover energy demand of VicInAqua facilities.
- Assessment of the environmental impact, sustainability and life cycle analysis - To guarantee a proper observance of environmental regulations.
- Extraction and use of natural by-products (nutrients to be used as fertilisers) - To be used in agriculture, thus providing a sustainable and environmentally friendly solution, which permits to take distance from chemical-based fertilisers.
- Increase in fish production productivity (Nile perch and tilapia) - and enabling the production of native fish species which can be step-by-step reintroduced in the Lake Victoria ecosystem.
VicInAqua will empower local stakeholders in the agro and aquaculture sectors by:
- Raising awareness on the critical relevance of environmental protection and food security.
- Providing an integral technical solution for more effective sanitation and water supply.
- Translating the knowledge gained into economical benefit and job creation.
- Encouraging women to undertake a more active role in the aquaculture sector.