VicInAqua specific objectives
- Development and screening of novel self-cleaning membranes.
- Set-up of a small technical MBR using novel self-cleaning membranes which will be integrated into a domestic wastewater treatment system (DWTS), a pilot RAS and a fish processing industry. The filter system combines two advantages, high efficiency in degradation of organic compounds and effective particle (down to micrometer scale) and germ filtration.
- Integrated renewable energy power supply based on photovoltaics and biogas (generated from RAS sludge in combination with bio-waste), which will be integrated to the system for autonomous operation
- A robust and low-cost real-time sensor system for water management based on wireless network monitoring will be developed and tested, which will contribute to the overall improvement of the aquaculture process.
- Set-up and pilot trials of an autonomous MBR for DWTS, RAS and fish process industry with integrated renewable energy power supply and smart sensor system.
- All R&D steps will be accompanied by an Environmental Impact Assessment and socio-economic studies in order to ensure affordability, sustainability and environmental friendliness. Studies on scalability of a marketable integrated RAS based on findings of the pilot trials will be also conducted.
- Awareness raising, capacity building and knowledge transfer among local population (aquaculture operators, stakeholders and scientific community).
- Foster gender equality and better integration of women in aquaculture activities.